Sunday, January 2, 2011

Multimedia China Projects


Here is my heretofore-unpublished photo of the man who stopped the column of tanks during the democracy protests at Tiananmen Square in Beijing in 1989. I had not shared the photo for 20 years, but agreed to have it published in the New York Times online on the 20th anniversary of the Chinese army's crackdown. See a larger photo at the NY Times site here, along with a story about my taking the photo, and comments by visitors to the site. Here also is a magazine piece in which I give more detail about where and how I took the photo, how the negatives were handled and how the photo itself got overlooked, leading to it remaining unpublished for 20 years.

Below are links to the first half of my multimedia China project I am producing as part of the Kiplinger Fellowship in digital media: a proposed Introduction, and a proposed Part 1 (of three eventual chapters). The tentative introduction is 5 minutes, 1 second long; the tentative Part 1 is 6:52. Passwords are required to view both elements.

http://blip.tv/file/918787 Introduction (5:01)

http://blip.tv/file/1010165 Part 1 of 3 (6:52)